CONDICOTE FUN RIDE AT THE KEIGHLEY RACING GALLOPS AND LUCKLEY FARM
The new, exciting and beautiful Condicote Fun Ride is NOW OPEN. We look forward to your participation and welcoming you on to the private Wharton Estate. It offers the opportunity for riders to hack along a self-contained circular trail of around 4 miles (5 miles including the gallops option) with about 40 jumps with new jumps being added frequently, so it is suitable for all ages and abilities. And if you and your horse wish to go on a longer fun ride, then feel free to go round a second time at no extra cost.
The Condicote Fun Ride is located at Luckley Farm, a few miles west of Stow on the Wold, in the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Luckley has been farmed by the Wharton family since the 1930s and has long been associated with racehorses, first with David “The Duke” Nicholson and now with Cheltenham-winning trainer Martin Keighley. Part of the ride follows the line of the former Nicholson gallop, over which famous racehorses such as What A Buck and Charter Party exercised. You will ride along a carefully marked trail from the starting point at the horse-box parking area in the old quarry at Luckley, along a valley containing wildflower meadows and then up past Debden Woods where you may well glimpse roe deer, muntjac or the odd pheasant, to the highest point of the ride with spectacular views across the Cotswolds, once the site of a Neolithic settlement. Along the way you can enjoy the various jumps, designed by Martin himself, before descending along the edge of the Keighley training ground, and ending back at the old quarry.
A highlight of the ride is the opportunity, for a small additional payment, to take your horse up Martin’s state-of-the-art, carpet-fibre gallop which he uses to tune up racehorses to peak fitness. This is an exhilarating part of the whole Condicote Fun Ride experience, and will doubtless be your highlight. You will be cantering in the hoofprints of notable racehorses such as Champion Court, Any Currency and Mr Mafia.
Online booking is straightforward and enables you to select a designated time slot ensuring that you, your friends and family can enjoy the experience without any overcrowding. The cost for adults is £15 for the fun ride; or £30 if you want to combine the fun ride with use of the carpet-fibre gallops. For children the cost is £10 for the fun ride or £25 if you also use the gallops. Please make sure you carefully read the Conditions of Acceptance, Rider Declaration & Disclaimer. If you do not wish to accept these, then do not proceed with the Fun Ride.
RULES OF THE RIDE: FOR YOUR SAFETY AND ENJOYMENT
We want you and other riders to have a fabulous and thoroughly enjoyable time on the Fun Ride. We also want to ensure your safety, and that of other riders, as well as any staff, visitors or walkers who you might encounter while on the ride. By making a booking you commit to following the letter and the spirit of the following eight rules.
- Age Restrictions: all riders must be over five years of age. Anyone under 14 years old must be accompanied throughout the ride by an adult.
- Safe Parking: our Fun Ride starts and finishes at the designated horse-box parking area in the Quarry at Luckley, near Condicote. There is ample parking for horse-boxes. Please do not park anywhere else and always park with consideration to other box drivers and their horses. Do not leave any horses tethered or unattended.
- Be Punctual: you will have selected your intended start time through our online booking calendar. Please make sure that you adhere to it.
- Follow the Route: the route is well marked from start to finish. Please stay on it and follow the directional arrows. Do not stray on to farm land or take any short-cuts. Do not turn round and head into any oncoming horses. For those who have booked the gallops part of the fun ride, the start of the gallop is at the bottom of the carpet-fibre gallop – DO NOT gallop on the grass adjacent to the gallop. When reaching the top of the gallops, re-join the fun ride route by following the directional arrows.
- Wear Safety Equipment: you MUST wear a hard hat, which should be correctly fastened at all times. You are strongly advised to wear appropriate body protection.
- Be In Control: by taking part in the Fun Ride, you are deemed to be appropriately skilled to handle horses in a responsible manner. Only go as quickly as your skill level allows. Only attempt to jump obstacles that are within the capability of you and your horse.
- Be Considerate to Others: if you need to go past someone, please ask to do so and pass at a walk or a slow trot. Be particularly careful when around younger or novice riders. Do not jump abreast of any other riders – only one horse at a time per fence or obstacle.
- Be Extra Careful on the Road: we only have a short piece of road to cross, and it is clearly marked. Be fully aware of any vehicles, and show due care and consideration.
- Stay in Contact: have a mobile phone with you, and if there is a problem, accident or emergency, look for the contact numbers that are marked out on the course and, particularly, by every fence.